Whether it’s a weekend getaway or a fleeting business trip, it’s always worth making the most of the city you find yourself in. Once you’ve freed up some time for appreciation and exploration, it’s time to pack your day bag with all the essential items before hitting the streets for the day and most probably, well into the evening. Here’s a few of my favourite things I like to keep to hand.
My essential items for a city day trip:
- A comfortable yet stylish day to night bag is a must. My faithful black leather convertible shoulder bag / back pack seamlessly transitions from a chic yet practical back pack during the day, to a funky single strap evening bag in just one move
- A lightweight foldable umbrella ready to offer shelter from the sweltering sun or the unexpected shower
- Smart black trainers, pumps or comfortable ankle boots are a good option as they can be worn all day and into the night
- A classic pair of lightweight or foldable sunglasses which offer shade from the sun’s glare without taking up valuable bag real estate
- A fully charged lithium battery pack for my mobile phone just in case
- A smart black cashmere cardigan or pashmina for that extra layer of warmth or added glamour when required
- A bottle of water for re-hydration
- Depending on the destination, I always have a travel-sized bottle of sunscreen and insect repellent. Plus, chances are that everyone you meet will also want to borrow some!
- If you find yourself in a foreign country where English is not broadly spoken or understood, ask your hotel concierge or receptionist to provide you with a card stating the hotel name and address in the local language. This is particularly handy should you need to get a taxi back or require directions from a local resident
SCRUBYSNACKS TIP: Make sure you utilise the complimentary Wi-Fi in your hotel before you set off for the day. Download a map of the whole area onto your smartphone via the Maps or Google Maps app. This is a valuable resource if you’re planning to completely lose yourself in the wonderfully exciting city streets. Once you have pre-downloaded the map, you won’t need to turn on your data whilst you are out and about. Downloading the xe.com app is also particularly handy if you want to keep an eye on how much items cost and ensuring you stick to your budget.
What are your essential items you simply cannot do without during a city trip?